Please note that BOEE offices will be closed the following days:
November 24 & 25, 2016
December 26, 2016
January 2, 2017
January 16, 2017
The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners is no longer printing and mailing licenses as of July 1, 2016. Check our website under “search for a license” to view your license or to see if a pending licensure transaction has been processed. Our website version of your license is considered your official license record.
Due to the large volume of requests, transactions take four to six weeks to process. Please do not contact our office to check the status of an application unless it has been longer than six weeks.
You can use this link to access incomplete/unsubmitted applications if you don't have the email the system sent when you started an application in our online system.
The mission of the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners is to establish and enforce rigorous standards for Iowa educational practitioners to effectively address the needs of students.
- that an effective licensure system is efficient, innovative, and responsive to needs of students and educators.
- in collaboration with other organizations to improve professional development and preparation programs.
- that education is a profession.
- that establishing ethical standards protects students and practitioners.
- The Board will develop rules for practitioner licensure that maintain high standards, are research based, and provide flexibility in attainment in all credential types, especially in shortage areas.
- The Board will develop a plan to require ongoing ethics training for all licensees.
- The Board will develop a communication plan for the dissemination of information to its constituent groups.
It is the policy of the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, political party affiliation, or actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code sections 216.9 and 256.10(2), Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. § 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C.§§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.). If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners, please contact the Executive Director of the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners, Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319-0147, telephone number: 515-281-5849, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-4544, telephone number: 312-730- 1560, FAX number: 312-730-1576, TDD number: 877-521-2172, email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov.